February 10, 2014

Life Log #3


It's been over two weeks since the last Life Log, but to be honest not much has happened. I'll share the books I've been reading and a couple of life events so I don't expect this post to be too long :) Then I'll queue my Waiting on Wednesday here soon after!!

I finished reading The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson the day after my last Life Log post, and I enjoyed it so so much and I definitely recommend it. I reviewed it here.

A few days after finishing that and getting over the book hangover, I started my first Stephen King novel, Carrie. I finished it five days later, and I loved every moment of reading it. I've mentioned this before, but the plan is to make a first impressions post about Stephen King, a book and movie comparison, and a mini review of Carrie, all in one pretty little post. I should definitely start drafting that post soon ;)

At my last doctor's appointment, I had to do the dreaded glucose tolerance test. It was super gross and had me on edge. I blogged about it and other recent pregnancy updates at the end of my month in review post here, if you're interested. I did find out (since writing that post) that it came back with normal results, which is wonderful because I would rather eat worms for the rest of my life than do the three hour one. I think.

At the beginning of the month, I attended the showing and funeral (a first for me) for my great aunt Suzie. I'm doing ok, and my mom seems to be doing ok, and in general my family is pretty ok. I'm a little worried for my grandma, because Suzie is her sister, and I just wanna go to her house and snack on junk food and pet her dog and watch the tele all day with her, so she can start feeling better.

A few days after that, I started a book called Don't Breath a Word by Jennifer McMahon. I'm not far into it at all yet and I don't have much to say about it. Genre-wise it's a little weird for me, and it's a little bit too unrealistic for me so far, but I'm going to trudge ahead and hope for the best. I'll fly through it now that it's the only book I'm reading at the moment, so expect a review of it in the next week or so.

Finally, today, in the wee early hours of the morning when most people are sleeping, I finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I loved it, and I am so glad I did because I wanted to love it so bad and gave it really high expectations, like I do with a lot of books. I felt like I was in the narrator's head, in his shoes, in his place, even though rarely I related to him. I connected with the characters very well and I probably took so long to read it because I was afraid of picking it up one minute and reading it all the next. Consider this a mini review. I don't plan on doing a complete review, because it's a classic novel. Five easy stars.

How was your last couple of weeks?

4 comments:

  1. Glad your glucose test went well, that sounds so awful to me! I haven't read Carrie, but I think it would be an excellent book.
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie was excellent, and I'm hoping the movie is just as great :)

      Delete
  2. Stephen King is one of my all time favorites. I've read most of his catalog, let me know if you need directions. :) Margaret Atwood is also fabulous, though often terrifying in a totally different way.

    I had to do both glucose tests when I was pregnant, but the horror of the second test was washed away by negative results. I might have died if I had to give up sugar, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever looked into Margaret Atwood's books, but I've heard of her. Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Sugar is so hard to give up because it's easy to over look, a lot of simple things have sugar and I am not diligent enough to cut sugar out. Getting good results on the glucose test was a real sigh of relief!

      Delete

Comments, questions, concerns?